A bill in the South Dakota legislature supporting Israel in their fight against terrorism has passed the state House today.
House Concurrent Resolution 1003 “Expressing solidarity with Israel in its defense against terrorism in the Gaza Strip” passed 66-4 with only Rep. Thompson, Rep. Vanderlinde, Rep. Iron Cloud III and Rep. Killer voting against.
A resolution does not carry the force of law, but expresses the sentiment of the legislative body.
The text of HCR 1003 is as follows:
A CONCURRENT RESOLUTION, Expressing solidarity with Israel in its defense against terrorism in the Gaza Strip.
WHEREAS, the State of Israel is the greatest ally of the United States in the Middle East; and
WHEREAS, the Hamas terror organization’s charter calls for the destruction of the State of Israel; and
WHEREAS, Palestinian terrorists of the Islamic Jihad and Hamas in the Gaza Strip, sponsored and trained by Iran, have recently fired hundreds of rockets at civilian targets in southern Israel, ending a six-month cease fire with Israel in declaration and deed; and
WHEREAS, during the six-month “state of calm,” Israel allowed the entrance of some seventeen thousand truckloads of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip, while Palestinian terrorists launched five hundred thirty-eight rockets and mortars into Israel; and
WHEREAS, the latest terrorist attacks took place only days after the United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 1850, which unanimously declared support for the peace process between the Palestinians and Israelis; and
WHEREAS, since these latest terrorist attacks and the beginning of its military operation on December 27, 2008, Israel has allowed the entrance of hundreds of truckloads of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip in full coordination with donor Arab countries and international aid organizations, including the Red Cross, out of respect for human rights and lives and in an effort to minimize the hardship and suffering of the Palestinian population; and
WHEREAS, Israel’s military operations are an effort to defend its citizens as a moral duty against the unspeakable horrors of ongoing, indiscriminate terrorism and are aimed only at dismantling the terrorist infrastructure; and
WHEREAS, hundreds of innocent Israeli and Palestinian civilians have been tragically killed due to ongoing escalations of violence initiated by Palestinian terrorist organizations:
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the House of Representatives of the Eighty- fourth Legislature of the State of South Dakota, the Senate concurring therein, that the Legislature:
(1) Stands in solidarity with Israel as it takes necessary steps to provide security to its people;
(2) Remains committed to Israel’s right to self-defense and supports additional United States assistance to help Israel defend herself;
(3) Condemns the end of the cease fire by Hamas;
(4) Condemns the firing of rockets into civilian areas by the Iran-sponsored terrorist groups of Hamas and the Islamic Jihad;
(5) Urges all Arab states to declare their opposition to terrorism and attacks on civilians;
(6) Urges all parties in the region to pursue lasting peace in the Middle East; and
(7) Will work as an elected body to promote economic relations, bilateral trade, and partnerships in green technologies and alternative energy with the State of Israel to stimulate the economies of both the United States and Israel in this time of crisis.
It’s good to see the South Dakota House taking a strong stand in sympathetic support for our ally Israel and against terrorism.